Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Halloween

As promised, here is a short hump day post dedicated to my Halloween shenanigans and a little weekend recap. Friday was spent mostly dedicated to setting up our Halloween Happy Hour at work (I swear I did some work..). I love planning a good party and love it even more when it's not my my money being spent! I scoured Pinterest for a few weeks and gathered up the easiest ideas that could be executed in the office, and even put together a Halloween playlist! Some may say I have too much time on my hands.. 





We have an office costume contest every year and this year I decided to go as a pineapple. Seriously, easiest costume ever. I had this bright yellow dress already and just made the leaves by using a toilet paper roll and hot glued some construction paper cut out as leaves and rolled them down a bit to give them a staggered and realistic look. My genius mom suggested cutting slits in the bottom of the toilet paper roll to make tabs and bobby pinned the tabs in my hair and voila! It was a hit all day. If you follow me on Instagram, you may have gotten a sneak peak. 

I obviously couldn't wear the same costume to two events, so I had a different costume planned for the Halloween party I was going to - a mermaid! I've always wanted to be a mermaid for Halloween and with a little encouragement from a friend, I decided to create a handmade mermaid ensemble. I hot glued and sewed some shells, pearls, beads and sequins on a strapless bra for the top. I found a turquoise pencil skirt and my mom assisted (who am I kidding, she did the whole thing) in sewing a blue sequin fabric I found to the bottom of the skirt to create a mermaid effect. We ended up turning the skirt around and stitched up the slit that was in the back to make the "tail" be in the back of the skirt. 



Saturday was UConn Homecoming which meant waking up bright and early for some tailgating and reliving the glory days of college. What did I get out of this? I am old. And always remember to bring a hooded jacket and completely closed shoes to a cold and wet tailgate. And remember to bring tickets for the correct game. But it was fun to see a bunch of college friends for the day! 
Well, that was quite the opposite of a short post. Sorry! All in all, it was a long but fun weekend. What did you dress up as for the Halloweekend? 

P.S. In honor of the CMA Awards on tonight, here's a little hump day treat :) 

post signature

2 comments:

  1. I love both your costumes! I saw them on Instagram. The mermaid one is so creative how you made the costume! Thank you for that hump day treat ;)

    xo, carli
    Puppies and Polka Dots

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like such an awesome party! Loving the food and the ideas. Your costumes were so awesome!

    Denise
    www.fashionloveletters.com

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS